Thursday, June 28, 2012

Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck


Publisher: Indie novel but was later published by Sterling
Reading Level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 448 pages
Series: The Tiger Saga #1
Summary
Passion. Fate. Loyalty.
Would you risk it all to change your destiny?
The last thing Kelsey Hayes thought she’d be doing this summer was trying to break a 300-year-old Indian curse. With a mysterious white tiger named Ren. Halfway around the world. But that’s exactly what happened. Face-to-face with dark forces, spellbinding magic, and mystical worlds where nothing is what it seems, Kelsey risks everything to piece together an ancient prophecy that could break the curse forever.
Tiger’s Curse is the exciting first volume in an epic fantasy-romance that will leave you breathless and yearning for more. (quoted by goodreads)

                                              Review
        I know, I know, everyone always says to never judge a book by it's cover, but I couldn't just ignore it right? I admit to having read this book because White Tigers are my favorite animal and due to my love of Indian culture, but all that doesn't matter, because the actual story is just as beautiful as the cover.

       In the first few chapters of this novel I noticed that Colleen Houck's writing style is different from that of other writers. She doesn't have a bad writing style it just took a bit getting used to, that's all. What I didn't like about this book was the total lack of responsibility her foster parents show. Sure, Kelsey is eighteen and has every right to do as she pleases, but if I were her parent/foster parent I would never permit her to board a plane half way across the world with a man I barely know. What I love about this book is how Colleen Houck manages to weave Indian culture, and folklore throughout her novel and still keep things interesting. Some say that all the historical stories Mr.Kadam shares with Kelsey are boring but I find them quite interesting it gives readers a chance to learn about Indian culture and folklore.

      The main character Kelsey Hayes is way too naive, and trusting. She boards a plane with a man she barely knows, and compels me to scream at her in my head. What is she thinking exactly? India is known for human trafficking you idiot! But, I also find her trusting nature to be sweet because it shows what a kind and compassionate person she is. My favorite character is Alagan Dhiren Rajaram *swoon*, a three hundred year old prince who was cursed to live as tiger and is allotted only twenty four minutes as a human everyday. Ren also happens to be perfect in every way. Ren is so beautiful,(yes I know that I am using beautiful for a boy) that he could cause Aphrodite herself to fall at his feet in awe of the beauty he displays, despite his good looks Ren is noble, brave and humble-everything a girl could dream of.

       I have read all three of the Tiger Saga books that are available in print and also an advance reader copy of the fourth book Tiger's Destiny ( it is missing the last three chapters and the epilogue, much to my dismay). Throughout the books I have read so far Kelsey Improves as a character, so if you did not enjoy Tiger's Curse, I encourage you to read the second book Tiger's Quest for like I said before Kelsey improves as a character and so does the story line. I recommend this book to anyone who loves a good adventure story and swoon-worthy boys.



<---- What I imagine Alagan Dhiren Rajaram (Ren) to look like.

Sadly, I do not know the real name of this model, for I found this picture on a Puerto Rican blog:

http://pirigueteliteraria.blogspot.com








Favorite Quotes<3
  • "A girl can still admire, can’t she? Even those who can’t afford to go in the store can still window-shop. Right? Knowing he wasn’t for me didn’t mean I couldn’t covet the merchandise.”
  • "Why does everything so bad for you always taste so dreamy? "
  • "Shhh Kelsey. I'm here. I'm not leaving you priya. Hush now. Mein aapka raksha karunga. I will watch over you priyatama.”
  • "Just so you know, I hate camping. I'm not so much appreciating the fact that there's no bathroom out here. 'Nature calls' while walking in nature is on my list of least favorite things. You tigers, and men in general, have it so much easier than us girls.”

1 comment:

  1. Hello!
    I'm here returning the visit. I loved this book, it is one of my favorites! The model's name is Erich Pelitz.
    Congratulations for the blog, it's beautiful!
    Sorry bad English, I'm brazilian =/

    Kiss,
    Pri.

    ReplyDelete